Smartphones are now an essential tool for anyone who is serious about trading.
They have the ability to keep you in the action so that you’re never more than a few seconds away from the information you need.
But here’s the thing…There are now so many smartphones on the market, it’s a headache choosing the best one for you. And if you’re used to just one brand, it’s even worse.
What if your brand isn’t the best?
We take a look at the best smartphones for stock trading. But first…
What are we looking for?
Using a smartphone for trading, whether it’s day trading or forex or any other securities-based work, means having certain features and capabilities at your disposal.
We think the most important aspects of a good smartphone in this arena are:
- The display. If it’s clear and bright, we want it. Traders need to have something they can look at even in the harshest sunlight of a busy trading day. And they can’t miss a single element of the data they’re looking at
- Battery life. If you’re rushing around trading all day, or if you’re a trader who’s also holding down a full-time job, you need to be able to rely upon a strong battery. The battery has to give you enough power to service trades at key points in the day. It also needs to be able to supply you with key financial data throughout that day
- Screen size. If you’re looking at a small screen, you’ve seriously limited your own potential as a trader. If you’ve got a screen that is small (less than 5 inches, for example), you’re in danger of literally not seeing what needs to be seen
- Speed. We’re fully aware that all smartphones are pretty quick these days. But that doesn’t mean they’re all fast enough. The phones we’ve looked at in this article come up with the goods as regards fast processing
#1 Samsung Note 10+
The Samsung Note series is the flagship line of the South Korean technology giant. Ever since the first model, Samsung Note smartphones attracted a large number of users due to their top specs, a Stylus pen and amazing battery life (Ok, except the Note 7.)
The Note series delivers all the features that stock traders love, and the recently unveiled Note 10+ is no exception.
Just like its predecessor, the Note 10+ is made of durable Gorilla Glass both on the front and backside.
The display on the new Samsung Note 10+ is simply stunning. The Note 10+ is equipped with an amazing 6.8 inch Quad HD+ AMOLED Infinity display with a pixel density of 498 ppi.
There’s also a smaller Note 10 (without the “plus” sign) that comes with a 6.3-inch FHD+ AMOLED Infinity display. In both cases, you’ll have more than enough real estate to perform even advanced charting on your Note 10 smartphone.
The advanced and smart S Pen is also a distinguishing feature of the Note series and makes a real difference when drawing trendlines, S&R levels or other technical tools on your screen.
The Note10+ Octa-core processor handles any task lightning-fast. You won’t have any issues with speed when using the Note 10 or Note 10+. All apps, including your broker’s mobile trading platform, are opened in the blink of an eye.
The Note 10+ comes standard with up to 512 GB of internal memory and 12 GB of RAM.
The battery life of your smartphone is very important if you’re a stock trader. The Note 10+ comes with a non-removable 4300 mAh battery that can easily outlast the day. The device also comes with the Wireless PowerShare feature, which gives you the power to charge other devices simply by placing them on the back of your phone! You’ll love this feature if you’re using the Samsung Galaxy Watch to follow your trades.
- Amazing 6.8 inch Quad HD+ display
- Intelligent S Pen
- Excellent battery life
- Learn more, take our premium course: Trading for Beginners
#2 iPhone Xs Max
The iPhone has always been a popular choice when it comes to mobile trading. The new iPhone Xs Max has the largest display ever on an iPhone, which makes it an interesting device on our list of top trading smartphones.
The iPhone Xs Max features a 6.5-inch Retina display which is slightly smaller than the mammoth display of the new Note 10+ but still offers plenty of space for advanced charting. The pixel density is also somewhat smaller and comes in at 458 ppi.
Apple’s flagship smartphone is equipped with a super-fast A12 Bionic chip that features advanced AI, so don’t expect any lags when using the iPhone Xs Max as your daily driver and trading companion.
The device comes with up to 512 GB of internal memory, just like Samsung’s Note 10+.
The battery life of the iPhone Xs Max lasts up to 1.5 hours longer than iPhone X, with continuous internet use of up to 13 hours, video playback of up to 15 hours and audio playback of up to 65 hours (wireless.) While Apple doesn’t have benchmarks for online trading yet, the battery will easily outlast your trading day.
- 6.5-inch Retina Infinity display
- Up to 512 GB of internal storage
- Extra-long battery life
#3 Xiaomi Mi 9
If you’re a beginner in stock trading and want to go for a low-cost but powerful smartphone that can easily handle mobile trading, then the Xiaomi Mi 9 is just right for you. It comes at below half the price of the models described above.
The Xiaomi Mi 9 has a respectable 6.39 inch Super AMOLED display that only slightly smaller than that of the iPhone Xs Max. The resolution of the screen is 1080 x 2340 pixels and delivers a pixel density of around 403 ppi. While this is the weakest display in our comparison, it’s still good enough for charting your favourite stock.
The device comes with a powerful Snapdragon 855 chipset and 8 GB of RAM, which ensures the smooth running of most apps. Mobile trading platforms are not very power-demanding apps, which makes this combination of processing power and RAM up to the task.
The internal memory of the Xiaomi Mi 9 is up to 128 GB, depending on the model you choose.
The Xiaomi Mi 9 is equipped with a Li-Po 3300 mAh battery that is capable to return 12 hours of web browsing and 17 hours of video playback. These numbers are more than enough to give you a full day of battery life, even if you’re a heavy day trader.
- Fast Snapdragon 855 processor and 8 GB of RAM
- 3300 mAh battery
- 6.39-inch display, slightly smaller than the 6.5 inches of the iPhone Xs Max
If you’re looking for the ultimate smartphone for stock trading, look no further than the all-new 2019 Samsung Note 10+. The device features an amazing 6.8-inch AMOLED display and the S Pen makes charting incredibly easy.
The octa-core processor, up to 512 GB of internal storage and 12 GB of RAM means that speed and memory will never be an issue. Plus, its excellent battery life ensures that you can open, manage and close trades and follow the financial markets without giving your charger a second thought.
- Learn more, take our premium course: Trading for Beginners